Merchant and City Councilor Leopold Jacobi (1847-1917) commissions renowned architects Cremer & Wolffenstein to design a new representative office building at Oranienstrasse 40/41. The building features the café Oranienpalast on the ground floor and offices on the upper floors.
The café Oranienpalast offers its guests outstanding concerts and cabarets under the direction of Oscar Barton. Upper floors are rented by industrial giant AEG, a publisher and a fashion shop.
Leopold Jacobi passes away.
The café Oranienpalast closes its doors. The ground floor is converted into a clothing store owned by C&A Brenninkmeyer. The upper floors are converted into a hotel named "Ahlbecker Hof".
Cäcilia Jacobi, the widow of Leopold, transfers the property to her children Ernst, Frieda and Charlotte.
They jewish owners had to sell the property to C&A below market value in order to be able to emigrate. C&A converts the entire building into a clothing store. During World War II the building survives undamaged.
The building changes ownership several times while it is used as a furniture & food store, restaurant & billiard salon.
The club "Trash" opens its doors on the first floor. The building is registered as a national monument the same year.
Dietrich von Boetticher acquires the building. After basic renovations the building is used free of charge for art & cultural events including the Berlin Biennale (2010), Kunsthochschule Weißensee and the Ostkreuz Bildagentur.
Dietrich von Boetticher commissions Hilmer Sattler Architects and Dietmar Mueller-Elmau respectively to undertake the conversion and interior design of a hotel with 41 rooms and suites, a small restaurant, literary salon, bar & concert stage.
The Orania.Berlin opens on August 14th, 2017.